Bagasbas Beach-- Relax, Swim & Surf


Afternoon in Bagasbas Beach--Photos courtesy of Cheekay T.

Bagasbas Beach is a popular hang-out destination in Daet, Camarines Norte. Locals flock to Bagasbas to swim, surf,skim surf, play volleyball, or simply, to relax and let time pass by while enjoying the seaside ambiance. Many visitors can't resist to drop-by at this place also. Of late, however, Bagasbas started to become famous in the surfing scene. The beach faces the Pacific Ocean, which explains for its powerful waves and swells ideal for surfing.




Swells can range between 3 to 6 feet, but can go as high as 8 feet on certain days. I reckon it's good for beginners, although we've seen seemingly experienced surfers enjoying the waves too. I've learned that Bagasbas waves are of the beach-break type with short to normal length. I'm not exactly a surfer and am yet to give it a try hehe, so for more surfing info about Bagasbas, just please check out this website I discovvered: wannaSurf




Beginners and professional surfers are welcome at Bagasbas (even non-surfers of course!)

Bagasbas has a long shoreline perfect for that family and barkada afternoon hang-outs, as well as morning or afternoon beach jogging. Another good thing about it is its accessibility, being just one tricycle ride away from Daet centro. The place is also cheap. There are no entrance fees. Rental of surfboards is just Php 200.00 per hour and surfing lesson is also Php 200.00 per hour.


These kids--young surfers--are undaunted by the strong waves...

I remember Bagasbas way back from my childhood. Papa is from Vinzons, Camarines Norte and every time our family gathers for a reunion circa 1990s, my cousins and I were always looking forward to a post-Christmas day excursion at Bagasbas. That was a long time ago though, and I haven't been to Bagasbas for years.


Cheekay, byahera, and Von

Hence thanks to my über wonderful friends and lakwatsa buddies--Cheekay and Von--for coming up with the idea of a road trip. Actually, it was a practice driving session for Cheekay, with Von as the driving coach. The plan was for Cheekay to drive from Naga City to Daet--Bagasbas being the highlight of the trip--and then back to Naga (Naga-Daet-Bagasbas-Naga). And of course, thanks to my own persistence to be their passenger even if I really don't have any role in said driving lesson except to be my usual crazy self :)


The author with her friend, Cheekay


Von and Cheekay

We met at around 11AM, ate a delicious lunch at Cheekay's house in Naga City and proceeded with the trip at around 1PM. After one and a half hours of Cheekay asking questions about driving, of me chattering about anything I can think of, and of Von constantly checking, guiding and teaching Cheekay about defensive driving, we're finally in Bagasbas--all in one piece, thank God.



Yehey! I love the view, I super love the beach, I love, love,love...I felt so alive and happy again. Cheekay took out her camera and started clicking :) Von, after surveying the scene, started to wade across the water toward the deeper part where the waves are bigger and more exciting...and I...was just looking on with envy because I didn't bring a change of clothes.Darn!




Naiingit na kay Von...i want to swim too!

My original plan was only to stroll around, appreciate the view and perhaps, contemplate(?!). But I can barely contain my envy--Von was already valiantly meeting the waves straight on--so I decided to borrow his extra clothes neatly folded inside a paperbag at the backseat. Bwahaha. And because of that, we both ended up going home wet and cold hehe. Cheekay opted to skip swimming (due to some personal reasons) and just stayed by the beach, honing her shooting skills :)


Borrowed Von's spare clothes hehe...

As soon as I got myself into the water...it's swimming time! I'd like to think that we were body surfing, but I guess we still have to practice more on that.

We're not daunted by these waves too...bring it on!


Wweeeee...jump!

Never thought that this could be so addictive!



More than an hour in the water and I think I finally satisfied my beach and waves craving. I can feel a slight tinge of sunburn in my skin. We decided to rinse at an old iskul water pump (poso) just near the beach, which is open for public use free of charge. Von and I took turns pumping the water pump as the other takes a bath. So childishly fun!


Cheekay took these pictures (traydor hehe)



Anyways, after all the excitement and wave craziness, we decided to eat at the nearby Kusina ni Angel, as per Von' recommendation. We ate scrumptious mixed seafood dishes. One is a platter of lightly-breaded fried sea foods (fish fillet, tahong, hipon,clams, etc.) and the other is a soup-y dish of the same ingredients. Both dishes were delicious; in fact, so yummy that I forgot to take a picture of them :). Prices were affordable also, at less than PHP 200.00 for each dish and more than enough for three, hungry, matakaw diners.


Driver and photographer of the day--Cheekay, enjoying her mango shake (PHP40) at Kusina ni Angel.

After our late afternoon and (did i say second?) lunch, we headed back to Naga City... baon ang masasayang alaala ng hapon na iyon. yahoo. AND what about the practice driving thing? Surely indeed, Cheekay became a better driver after having braved the twists and turns of the highway to and from CamNorte :)


SOME TRAVEL TIPS

1) How to reach Bagasbas:for those who would be coming from Manila, take the bus going to Daet, Camarines Norte. There are Superlines and Philtranco aircon and non-aircon/ordinary buses that cater daily and nightly Manila-Daet v.v trips. Fare is around Php 600.00 and travel time, around seven hours. If you're from the South--Naga City, Legazpi City or Sorsogon, for example--you can take the vans going to Daet from the Naga City van terminal, and then from Daet, negotiate with a tricycle to take you to Bagasbas :)


2) There are a number of hotels scattered around Daet and neighboring towns, such as Wiltan Hotel, Sampaguita Tourist Inn, Mines Hotel and Hotel Dolor, to name a few.
Wiltan Hotel @ Vinzons Ave., Daet 054 721 2252
Sampaguita Tourist Inn @ J. Pimentel St., Daet 054 571 2646
Hotel Dolor @ Vinzons Ave., Daet 054 721 2167
Mines Hotel, Vinzons Ave. Daet

3) In addition to Bagasbas beach, there are other beaches and islands in Camarines Norte that have started to gain a reputation among adventurers, travelers and photographers. One such island is the Calaguas Island or Mahabang Buhangin. The same was even featured already in magazines and talk shows :)

4) Usual mode of transport around the town is tricycle. Standard fare of Php 7.00 applies for nearby locations, unless you're renting the trike for more lengthy road trip.

5) Nightlife -- there's a budding nightlife in Daet, evidenced by the number of bars and nightclubs around. check-out 'the brickyard' near the van terminal. from what i've heard this is the latest gimik hub in daet.

6) Daet specialties: pandecilios (bread with pili), tikoy, pili roll, pili tart and pineapple tart are must-try's! My favorite, however, is angko, a small white round steamed kakanin made from malagkit and with peanut-choco center.So yummy!

Comments

  1. Wait a minute... Where??? Cam.Norte?? Really?!? Never been in this place! But one thing I'm sure of, I'm afraid of the deep sea color. It makes me feel alone and covered with emptiness. What makes me amaze is that the waves uncover me from the fear which wrapped my thoughts, jumping out to make my sight play to their rhythm. Thanks to the happy faces, they balanced my impression or my emotion on the sea. The sea somehow makes me feel blue but the color brings out to the smiley faces is so bright. I noticed too the clash of the waves. Ouch! Good thing there's a pump so gentle to wash your body. Where's the picture of the dishes? I know I'm allergic to sea foods but not on "see foods." Anyway, I will give you my great smile on this. Keep it up Ate Doreen! Nice site. For sure, more travel to come to "biyahera." ♥Ü♥ -rej

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rej! thanks for visiting me here hehe...like you i'm also scared of the sea/ocean sometimes, but for me, it's more relaxing than frightening on a nice sunny day. being in the sea makes me feel closer to nature and sige na nga, kinda spiritual na din hehe. and by the way, masarap ang hampas ng alon LOL! u just have to go with the flow :) sorry we were not able to take pictures of the seafood dishes, as we were so excited to eat that we gobbled the food right away after our grace before meal.
    anywys if u have the time, visit bagasbas. it's only 2hrs away from naga. i'm sure it'll be worth the trip! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Peace and Beauty in Mount Isarog: The Stone House Garden Resort Day Out

SUBIC ISLAND: The Off the Beaten Path Wonder of Matnog, Sorsogon

JUAG FISH SANCTUARY: The Off the Beaten Path Wonder of Matnog, Sorsogon (Part II)