A Stormy Bagasbas and Some Musings on Life, Family, the Beach and Approaching 30 =)

The author: making the most of a stormy beach moment
Whenever I go to the beach, I just can't help but write about it and gush about my feelings on how the vastness of the sea and the beauty of nature amaze me, even if I almost sound like somebody high on something hehe. Who can blame a beach junkie? =)



Bagasbas Beach when it's sunny and pretty
Some years back, I wrote a post about Bagasbas beach (If you are interested to know more about Bagasbas, please refer to this previous post). Up to now I still go back to those afternoon memories with my good friends, Cheekay and Von. It was then that Cheekay mastered her driving, not to mention her shooting skills (with a camera! that is), with Von being her ever patient mentor. It was also then that I first ate at Kusina ni Angel, which has now become a favorite. It represents a time of carefree fun and spontaneity, as well as fearlessness (for having braved the big waves of Bagasbas). 


Bagasbas with Cheekie and Bon some years back
Without intending to exaggerate, that Bagasbas trip some years back pretty much illustrates my life in my 20s. I was very much like the happy, empowered and come-what-may child, who thinks that she can do almost anything she sets her heart to. There was this desire to live my life in the moment; that consciousness of every second ticking by; and that fear that life might pass me by without being able to do the things I love . Plus, I was ever confident that life always has a way of turning out just fine. I am good at weathering out storms, just as I am good at enjoying the sun. Now that I am fast approaching my 30s--at a rate which I am more comfortable with--I guess I tend to ruminate a lot about these stuff hehe. My 20s is my power years and I just hope that I can replicate that energy in the next stages of life. Anyways, so much for that chitchat! Back to the trip. Hehe.

I went back to Bagasbas several days ago. This time with my family. We are not the kind of family that goes on family trips. The last excursion I can remember was when I was still in grade school. As I grew older, I began to have my own trips with friends; family travel just seemed out of the picture. Hence when papa wanted to have a road trip, of course in the guise of tackling some business there hehe, we immediately said "go!" We pushed through despite the tropical depression  that day. It was Signal No.1 and rain poured sporadically but like a whiplash. 






Just like any other beach that directly faces an ocean, Bagasbas is powerful and even irreverent at times. The thundering, booming and crackling sounds of the waves invoke awe, especially during such stormy day. My papa, however, was so resolute to visit his home province that we still continued anyway (the hard-headedness! I took after him haha).What we saw  that day was a stormy Bagasbas. Stormy and gray--a striking contrast from the last time I have seen it. 


Where has all the blueness gone?
The Bagasbas that met us is an angry one.  The waves are bigger and for me, meaner; as if, in its fit of bad mood, warning everyone, "Do not mess with me right now". It surprised my mother that there were still people swimming. There were a number of surfers too. I reckon that the waters of Bagasbas during a mild storm are good for a surf. I sort of envied the surfers, so I just conjured in my mind how it will feel like to ride the waves and the adrenaline rush of the moment. This made me decide to try surfing too-- ASAP!!! I'll write about my surfing escapade in Baler in a succeeding post.  =)


A Gray Day
Way back with Cheekay and Von, it was all sunny and pretty--so picture perfect. I remember that I immediately succumbed to the temptation of taking a dip into the notorious surfing waters of Bagasbas. During normal days, the place can be packed with picnickers, joggers, swimmers, surfers, skim surfers and usyseros like us hehe. Bagasbas have gained a reputation as a surfing beach and attracted more surfers that there is already an annual Bagasbas surfing festival week during summer, if I am not mistaken. 


This time, however, I know that I will not be swimming so I did bother to bring a change of clothes. But still, nothing changes my love for this beach even at its not-so-picture perfect, stormy interludes.



My brother and I just took the opportunity to have a photo-op hehe, even if we are clearly far from model materials. It's just fun to goof around when you are bored and you know that you have nothing else to do but wait for lunch.


My brother, horsing around...
Some parts of the beach are not suitable for swimming

Now about lunch, I was excited to eat again at Kusina ni Angel, a restaurant that I always recommend to friends who ask me about foodie locations in Bagasbas. Once again, the place did not fail me.




...And this is what we ate
Kusina ni Angel is simply about the food. The place, for me, is quite unappealing. It has the ambiance of a bus stop carenderia. Don't expect for exceptional service either, because waiters/waitresses are simply there to take your orders and attend to other simple needs. Now on the plus side, food is super affordable. Our orders of Frito Misto (a favorite), Sinigang na Isda, and Fish Fillet Rellyenado cost P200, P145, and P195, respectively. This is super cheap given the quantity and quality of the food.


Lutong bahay goodness of Frito Misto and Sinigang na Isda
Frito Misto is actually a platter of seafood (shrimp, fish fillet, squid and clams) deep-fried in batter tempura-style. The fish fillet reynellado, is a large chunk of fillet with some meat stuffing and a dark, asado-like sauce that really tasted well with the fish. The fish sinigang (fish in sour broth) is just that--sinigang, only that it has that home cooked goodness of lots of vegetables and large portions of fresh fish served steaming hot. What is good about this place is that you can be assured of the freshness of the sea foods due to its proximity to the sea. When it comes to service, it was not as slow as I expected considering that they cook (or in some instance, perhaps reheat) the food only when an order is placed. Food presentation is not so bad either.




...Tsadan!! And this is how our table looked like after =D
In the end, everything's about cleanliness and taste and I think Kusina ni Angel passed all these. That's why I like the place despite its simplicity hehe. Anyways, Kendi, my travel junkie of a roommate, suggested another place, a burger joint, near the Bagasbas Beach. In fact, she mentioned a number of eateries which I am now excited to try once I go back there. So I'll have pretty much to talk about next time hehe.


Anyways after lunch we decided to head back home already because the rain was already lashing on us. It would be a difficult drive back home if the weather gets worse. So that's it, a simple road trip with my family. Sometimes, simple is the best there is. Tata for now! =)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Peace and Beauty in Mount Isarog: The Stone House Garden Resort Day Out

SUBIC ISLAND: The Off the Beaten Path Wonder of Matnog, Sorsogon

JUAG FISH SANCTUARY: The Off the Beaten Path Wonder of Matnog, Sorsogon (Part II)